Here in Atlanta, we are still licking our wounds from the Super Bowl. But baseball is going to help. A lot. Why? Because not only is it time to see our Atlanta Braves play, we get to see them do it in the brand new SunTrust Park. It’s finally Atlanta Braves Opening Weekend, y’all!
The Atlanta Braves have been part of my life as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl, my daddy would turn on TBS and we would watch “America’s Team” together. When I was a young adult, I jumped at a chance to attend a meeting in the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium press box before it got torn down. My oldest son’s first ballgame was at Turner Field (to us, “The Ted”) when he was not even a year old; he’s fifteen now!
SunTrust Park is open for business and they want to share some helpful hints to make the Atlanta Braves Opening Weekend as much fun as it can be!
Regular Season Games start THIS weekend, April 14th-16th.
If you haven’t seen the new stadium, take the video tour!
- A new stadium is exciting, but it can lead to a lot of uncertainty. If you know nothing else, know this – if you are planning to use SunTrust Park lots, you MUST purchase your parking online in advance. You cannot pay for parking at SunTrust lots when you get there. Purchase parking by visiting Braves.com/parking. A perk of purchasing your parking online is that you can then use Waze to guide you straight to your parking lot!
- SunTrust Park gates open three hours early on Atlanta Braves Opening Weekend.
- SunTrust Park ticket windows open at 9:30am for fans to pick up pre-purchased tickets. The windows will remain open until the end of the 6th inning, but don’t head down there for tickets on Friday night – Opening Night is sold out, y’all.
If you’re lucky enough to have tickets for Opening Night, the following information from the Atlanta Braves tells you what kind of treats are waiting for you!
Friday, April 14 at 7:35 p.m. – Fans are asked to be in their seats by 6:30 p.m.
- Braves Walk: Braves legends will lead the inaugural Braves Walk through The Battery Atlanta to the Braves baseball sphere hanging in the Plaza for a Chop Rally.
- Commemorative Ticket Gate Giveaway: Fans will receive a commemorative ticket in celebration of Opening Day in the Inaugural Season at SunTrust Park.
- Pregame ceremony: The Atlanta Braves will celebrate the opening of SunTrust Park by welcoming home Braves legends Hank Aaron, Bobby Cox, Tom Glavine, Chipper Jones, Dale Murphy, Phil Niekro and John Smoltz as part of a pregame ceremony. The Braves will officially mark the completion of SunTrust Park with the unveiling of the retired numbers.
- National anthem: Georgia native Phillip Phillips will perform the national anthem on Opening Day. Phillips is known for his pop hit “Home,” which also serves as the signature song for the Braves’ marketing campaign this year, “Welcome Home.”
o During the national anthem, SunTrust employees will hold a giant American flag covering the outfield.
- Ceremonial Flyover: The United States Navy will perform a flyover in Four F/A-18A+ Hornets from VFC-12 out of Oceana, Va., at the conclusion of the national anthem.
- First Pitch: Braves legend Hank Aaron will throw out the first pitch at SunTrust Park.
- Leader of the Chop: Before the Braves come to bat in the first inning, former Braves Manager Bobby Cox will officially start the chop from the Coors Light Chop House.
- 7th inning stretch: Performance of God Bless America by Timothy Miller of the Atlanta Opera.
- Friday Night Fireworks: Fans will be treated to a dazzling display of fireworks over SunTrust Park following every Friday home game throughout the season.
Y’all. Phillip Phillips. I can’t even. And Hank Aaron throwing out the first pitch? There couldn’t be a more perfect choice. The Atlanta Braves Opening Weekend will have a perfect kick off. I wasn’t lucky enough to snag tickets for the opening night, but my boys and I will be sure to catch all the excitement on television.
Hey, Atlanta – what are you most looking forward to exploring at SunTrust Park?